These seminars encourage people go deeper into the subversive heart of pyrotheology from the comfort of their homes. They delve into incendiary philosophical and theological ideas in an endeavor to provide some good old-fashioned intellectual stimulation. But they're also designed to penetrate our hearts and do surgery to our souls. The ideas will help us discover how we might experience a deeper, richer and more engaged form of life.
Past seminars include,
- When Atheism isn't Atheist Enough: Christianity and the Absurd
- Beyond Belief: Christianity and the Critique of Ideology
- The Alien From Inner Space: Sin, Salvation and Prometheus
- Pyro-Seminar: Q&A with Barry Taylor
- Giving the Unwanted Gift of Nothing: A Valentines Talk on Love
- Be Optimistic, Expect Chaos
- Atheist Atonement: The Cruciform Structure of Reality (October)
It could be argued that the central theological question throughout the history of Christianity has revolved around the significance of the Crucifixion. Yet this discussion has by no means been restricted to the confessional church. Indeed, many prominent secular philosophers have taken a deep interest in this event and its possible meaning. In this seminar I will introduce people to some of these approaches and how they relate to a Pyrotheological approach.
- Weaponizing Discontent: Mobilizing Personal and Political Dis-ease (November)
In contrast to the attempts we make to integrate more fully into society, or to escape it through refuge in some outsider community, we’ll explore how we can mobilize discontent in such a way that it enriches our world. We’ll look at how to cultivate individual and corporate environments that turn dis-ease into something positive.
- When Myth Meets Matter: Lewis, Zizek and the Incarnation (December)
For this Christmas Pyro-seminar, I’ll be looking at the meaning of the Incarnation by brining together a conservative Christian theist and a leftist radical atheist. Together these unlikely bedfellows are able to open up a fresh, vibrant and challenging understanding of the Incarnation that will clear away the stale secular and spiritual readings we are used to.
To get access to these lectures, and all future ones, you need to sign up to the Pyro-Seminar reward.